On July 1, Gwinnett County implemented a new residential garbage and recycling program for unincorporated areas of the county. City residents are not affected by this new plan. Gwinnett County contracted with five private haulers to each serve a designated area, offering consistent solid waste service to all residents.
What are the benefits of the new plan?
- Efficient and cost-effective solid waste service
- Cleaner neighborhoods: less illegal dumping and reduced truck traffic and wear and tear on our streets
- Environmental sustainability: greatly increased recycling opportunities and reduced air and noise pollution
- Additionally, the State of Georgia requires all its counties to update solid waste disposal plans every 10 years and to work toward reducing the solid waste deposited in landfills; this plan will accomplish that goal.
What does the new base service include?
- Weekly trash pickup of the following items is included in the base service
- Household waste
- Bulky items – old furniture, mattresses, etc. (contact your hauler to schedule pickup)
- White goods – stoves, refrigerators, etc. (contact your hauler to schedule pickup)
- 35 different kinds of recyclable items
- Household waste
What about yard waste?
- Yard waste collection is elective
- Subscribe directly through your hauler
- $60 for six months of service (January – June, July – December)
How much will the new base service cost?
- $17.86 per month for base service (no additional fees unless you contact your hauler to arrange for yard waste pickup or other additional services)
- Base rate is guaranteed for 18 months, through 2011
- Charges for the remainder of 2010 and all of 2011 will be billed with the property tax statement mailed this summer and due in the fall (total of $321.48)
Questions about the new garbage and recycling program?
- Contact the Gwinnett County Solid Waste and Recycling Division Call Center at 770.822.7141 weekdays between 7:30am and 5:30pm
Questions about your pickup service?
- Contact your assigned hauler